Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Nutcracker- Take Two

In early December, Phil surprised me with tickets to Houston Ballet’s The Nutcracker. When I went home to Richmond, VA for Christmas, I saw Richmond Ballet’s The Nutcracker with my sister & mom. *Sidebar- The Steelers played the Panthers the night of the Richmond Ballet. I was SO proud of myself for only sneaking to check the score once during the performance!*

Before I went to Richmond’s performance, I read an article by a writer from the New York Times who traveled across the US viewing the numerous Nutcracker ballets this Christmas. He reported that Houston’s rendition was more “European” than others. I figured that all versions were somewhat “European” considering that Tchaikovsky was Russian; however, once I saw the Richmond ballet, I thoroughly understood what the New York Times writer meant. There was a clear distinction in the costumes, how the dancers interacted with the audience, the family-friendly nature, and of course, the style of dancing. Houston was way more formal, while Richmond was clearly more family-oriented and even humorous. I loved both renditions for their unique interpretations of the famous Christmas classic.

Here are some pictures from Richmond’s performance that you can compare to my post on the Houston Nutcracker.
The Snow Forest Queen & Snowflakes
The beginning of the Act 2 when Clara & the Prince arrive in The Kingdom of Sweets.
In both Houston & Richmond the Arabian Coffee were my favorite.
The Flowers of the Kingdom of Sweets. The butterfly was absolutely beautiful!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...