Friday, October 9, 2009

Caramelized Butternut Squash

One of my girl friends from college, Miriam, mentioned a couple weeks ago that she was going to try and introduce butternut squash to her husband. Since I had never cooked a dish with it before and I had a recipe for it in my book for the cookbook club, I thought that I would try it also. I had never cooked, tasted, or even seen butternut squash before this and I was struggling with it (I posted a picture below in case you are like me and don’t even know what it looks like). I attempted this recipe last night and struggled with it. I went online this morning to blog about it for my cookbook club and noticed that another woman had also tried it last night and had trouble with it. Maybe my knives were dull? Maybe I don’t know how to buy ripe butternut squash? Maybe I simply had no idea what I was doing? (That last question is most likely the most accurate reason for why I struggled with this dish.) If you notice the picture below, there are two; I had every intention to cook both of them, but it was too hard for me to peel and cut even one, so I only cooked half of one and used only a quarter of all of the ingredients (omitting salt and pepper). The flavor was unique, but not in a bad way. I might cook this again if someone enlightens me on tricks-of-the-trade for butternut squash.
Butternut Squash

Caramelized Butternut Squash (page 151)

xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...