Monday, August 6, 2018

The Giving Sack: A New Holiday Tradition

Now I know some of you, who are new around here, might be thinking, “WHY is she talking about Christmas already?!”, while the rest of you know perfectly well what to expect when it comes to me & Christmas.....I just can’t help myself :-)  Of course we celebrate Christmas in December, but we love it so much that we also have a Christmas in July week, and when I heard about The Giving Sack, I jumped all in!  I am a HUGE book fan, and an EPIC Christmas fanatic.....but when you put those things together with an element of character development.....well I just can’t contain myself.  When this book arrived, and I opened the cover, I honestly had tears roll down my cheeks, and I immediately knew that this was going to be a new tradition in our family.  My kids loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you.The Giving Sack- Life with the HawleysDSC_0279-2DSC_0248DSC_0282
There are three characteristics that we focus on teaching in our home: integrity, service, & joyThe Giving Sack teaches ALL three of those traits so beautifully.  The message of this book fosters a love for giving to others in such a hands-on manner.
DSC_0269-2DSC_0260The Giving Sack is a story about how Santa has provided a piece of his red coat & sprinkled it with magical dust for your child.  After reading the story, you go through your home collecting items in the sack that Santa could use to give to less fortunate children.  You leave it by the front door or the chimney for Santa to collect.  DSC_0308-2
The message of giving to others, and kindness for others without a focus on receiving during the Christmas season is simply joyous.  When I first read The Giving Sack to my son, it opened the door to BIG conversations about how not everyone is as fortunate as we are, and not everyone has as many fire trucks as him.  He was genuinely devastated thinking of other little boys that might not have even one fire truck.  He was instantly ready to fill the sack with toys for other boys & girls.  I can’t help but tear up when I think about how his thoughts are beginning to shift from selfish gain to thinking of others.  I love that this book aids in teaching my children to serve others.  My kids enjoyed this so much for Christmas in July, that I know we will be making this a biannual tradition in our home.  DSC_0311
I hope that you consider doing this with your family.   So hop over and get a copy of the The Giving Sack for your family this Christmas


Obligatory Blogger Disclaimer: While I was provided a copy of this book, all comments & opinions are 100% my own.
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...