Friday, June 22, 2018

Dutch's 4th birthday

Last year for Dutch's 3rd birthday we did something a little different: we scrapped all parties, and just had a day focused on the things he likes.  It was an awesome & super fun day.  There was minimal planning, no goodie bags to pack, no moon bounce to rent, no invitations to mail, no balloons to purchase, or anything over the top.  We had a relaxed day focused on him, and it was such a fun birthday for everyone that we decided to do the exact same thing this year.  I highly recommend this type of birthday to everyone lol

This year, the entire day revolved around our 2 o'clock appointment at the fire station (which was a surprise for Dutch).  We started the day with breakfast tacos & red donuts (Dutch loves anything and everything red, because.....fire trucks are red, of course).  We went to the park to feed the ducks, fly his kite, play at the splash pad, & ride the train.  For lunch we went to Chuy's for tacos, and headed home for a dress change.20180602_10103320180602_101845
20180602_10222620180602_10524020180602_11080920180602_11163420180602_114928
Dutch had no idea that we were going to the fire station, so we came home and got him dressed in his fireman gear.  If you know Dutch, then you know the boy just loves everything fireman.  We told him that we were going to a fire station to look at the firetrucks.......you would have thought we told him he won the lottery; he was ecstatic.  He toured the station, told all of the firemen what everything was on the trucks (he genuinely impressed them with his knowledge of the trucks, specific buttons, and gear).  He also played Twenty-One Questions (read: FOUR Billion Questions) with them.  Sidebar: if this fireman gig doesn't work out for him, he might want to consider being a detective or a scientist.  His mind is very focused and inquisitive.  We met the Chef and sat in the trucks, and looked the hoses and ladders.  He was thrilled and delighted beyond belief. (We've even done a firefighter unit before)20180604_145746DSC_0005DSC_0009DSC_0015DSC_0019DSC_0024
DSC_0021DSC_0031DSC_0040 DSC_0056
We came home and the kids napped.  That evening we ordered pizza & he opened gifts that our families sent him.  I tried my hand at making a strawberry firetruck cake, per the birthday boy's request.  The Mr. had a great idea of using Dutch's hockey pucks for tires on the cake.  Pure genius if you ask me.DSC_0062
It was a fantastic day doing all the things Dutch loves, and I so much enjoyed watching him smile all day long.  This has been a year of true growth, physically, cognitively, and spiritually for him, and the joy it brings me to watch him develop overwhelms me.  I do not comprehend why I get to be his mother, but I am honored and grateful.  Dutchie, my sweet fireman, I love you with every cell in my body and I am so grateful I got to spend your 4th birthday with you.  I continue to pray that you will have decades of spectacular birthdays, and that as you age, each day you grow closer and closer to the Lord. Love, Mama
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...