Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Cornucopia Countdown

There are so many ways that you can count down to Christmas, but what about Thanksgiving?! It’s the perfect holiday to practice having a grateful & giving heart with the days leading up to the celebratory meal.  So I came up with this activity for kids & adults to countdown to Thanksgiving.Cornucopia Countdown- Life with the Hawleys
Hawley Homeschool
We have A LOT to be grateful for!  While I want to instill hearts that are grateful and have a desire to serve others in my children, I also want to actively demonstrate those behaviors myself.  So enters the cornucopia.  A cornucopia is “an abundant supply of good things of a specified kind” and a traditional decoration & symbol for the season of autumn harvest.  DSC_0425
Over the summer I found a phenomenal shop on Etsy that makes her own crochet produce.  Y’all know by now that I am all about quality products that will last, and are close to the earth without crazy flashing lights/songs (more about that here).  I wanted produce for my kids that fit that description, and when I found this shop I was instantly hooked!  Her product is amazingly crafted with great attention to detail! (Total sidebar- I asked her to make something that she didn’t even have listed in her shop after I received this produce because I liked her product so much and she did it perfectly; exactly like I envisioned.  You NEED to check out her shop!).  DSC_0422
So how am I using this as a countdown/teaching tool? My mom made a cornucopia (similar one) & it is sitting alone as the centerpiece on our kitchen table right now.  At the end of everyday during dinner between now & Thanksgiving, we will pass a piece of produce around the table & each say something that we are grateful for, something good we saw in someone else that day, or a way in which some else helped that day and place the produce in the cornucopia.  By Thanksgiving our cornucopia will be a great display of our blessings and a great decoration for the big meal. DSC_0432
I’m very much looking forward to the moments where we share blessings & gratitude with one another as we lead up to Thanksgiving. What ways do you share blessings with each other this month?
Obligatory Blogger Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review, I just really like this shop & I think you should check it out!
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...