Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Keep Your Bananas

How To Keep Your Bananas Longer-1Did you know that bananas release gas from their stems?  They do, but don’t freak out; while it’s not harmful,  it does cause fruit to turn fast.  It’s called ethylene gas.  This gas is a natural hormone that helps fruit to ripen; think of it as the “aging agent”.
 
Do your bananas ever go bad faster than you can eat them?! That happens in our house all.the.time!  I learned a new trick at the beginning of the summer and I’ve been trying it out every week.  I can honestly say this does keep our bananas fresher for a lot longer, and I wanted to share this trick with you. 

All you have to do is tightly wrap them stem of the banana with plastic wrap.  You can use saran wrap OR use a piece of the plastic produce bag you got at the store. It doesn’t really matter, as long as the plastic is tight preventing the gas from leaking out.  Every time you take a new banana re-wrap the stem to keep the bananas from ripening.  This will also delay ripening of the other fruit that you keep in your fruit bowl. 

Cool, right?! 

I wish I had known this a lot sooner.  I could have saved a lot of bananas.
What kitchen tricks do you have for me? How To Keep Your Bananas Longer-2
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...