I posted this picture on Instagram last week not thinking too much of it. Because of the number of responses and comments I received, I decided that I better post this recipe stat! This was my first attempt at making Indian Butter Chicken, but I'm sure I will be making this again; it was yummmmmmmy!
1 lb chicken tenders cut into smaller cubes
salt & pepper
4 tbs unsalted better, divided
3 tsp curry
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground ginger
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed & drained
- Salt and pepper chicken. Brown the chicken in a skillet with 1-2 tbs butter, and set aside.
- Prepare basmati rice following the instructions on the container.
- Melt 1 tbs of butter in a stock pot. Add onion and cook on medium heat until translucent (4-5 minutes). Add curry, chili powder, & ginger to the onions and stir for a couple minutes. Add in tomato paste & sauce, then stir again. And lastly, stir in the cream. Once everything is incorporated, add the browned chicken, reduce the temperature to low and cook for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- About 5-10 minutes before serving, add the peas, and 1 tbs of butter to the tomato cream.
- Serve the butter chicken over the basmati rice, garnished with cilantro and naan for dipping.