Monday, January 11, 2010

Rushing to Catch up

Since the cookbook club is getting ready to move forward with the new book I wanted to get as many recipes done from the current one before moving on; taking a month break put me a bit behind. For dinner last night I made the BBQ chicken, fingerling potatoes and the croissant bread pudding. All together this was a super fast meal to make. I was nervous to make my own BBQ sauce because I had never done that before but it really wasn’t hard. I will say, when Ina says there are a lot of ingredients, take her word for it! The upside to the many ingredients was that they were all generally things that I already had (with the exception of hoisin sauce, which was totally new to me). I think in the future I will use a little less vinegar so it’s less tangy. I had never heard of fingerling potatoes before, but I think I have a new favorite potato! This was my kind of recipe: put it on the stove and leave it! This required very few ingredients and little of my time. I used organic ruby crescent fingerling potatoes and they were delicious and creamy.
BBQ Chicken, BBQ Sauce and Fingerling Potatoes page 120 & 159
Following dinner I served the croissant bread pudding. To be honest I have never liked bread pudding in my life until I tried some at the first Barefoot Contessa Cookbook meeting. Someone made it and it was delicious. We are having another meeting so I decided to bring this dish, but I wanted to practice before I offered it to the public (a personal rule). Not being the biggest raisin fans, I omitted those but I agree with whoever recommended substituting them with chocolate chips (or even butterscotch chips) and will try that next time. I sprinkled a little bit of powdered sugar on top and it was delicious- even better this morning for breakfast ;-)
Croissant Bread Pudding page 192
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...