Tuesday, November 3, 2009

'Tis the season for pecans and cider

Here are some of my most recent newly tested recipes. I had a bunch of phyllo dough left over from making that spinach pie, so I tried baklava. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baklava/Detail.aspx This was my first time trying this recipe and it was actually pretty easy. At the Cookbook potluck dinner someone brought homemade apple cider; the recipe was Ina’s but not in the book we are cooking from. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/hot-mulled-cider-recipe/index.html Not being someone who likes apple cider, I loved this drink! I made the cider to go along with my baklava. The recipe says that it only takes 10 minutes to make, but I let mine heat for about 10 hours so the flavors could really mix. I just put it on the stove in the morning and went about cleaning the house. I stirred it frequently throughout the day. This not only went well with the baklava, but it gave a festive smell to the house.
Baklava

Cider- my sister said, "what is that star thing in the cider?
It looks like a big bug!" It is star anise (an Asian spice),
orange peel, and a cinnamon stick.
I made the pecan squares from the cookbook club with my mother-in-law over the weekend. We halved the recipe and had more than plenty. We recommend omitting both of the citrus zests and to dip in chocolate.
Pecan Squares pp.188
xoxo Darby
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...